History of the Band

WINCANTON SILVER BAND

Bringing music to the local community

Wincanton Silver band was founded in 1890 by a group of trustees who purchased a set of instruments to loan to the players. There has been a band in the town ever since. There are members of today's band who are direct descendants of these founder members.

The band regularly attended contests at Belle Vue and Crystal Palace, and were 4th Section National Champions in 1948. The band had more contesting successes in the late 60's qualifying twice for the national finals. More recent success was in 1998, 1999 and 2006 when the band represented the South west area in Harrogate and Nottingham.